If you have excellent typing skills you may want to consider starting a typing service. Many small businesses have letters that need to be typed, meetings that need to be recorded, and more. Writers, professors, teachers and even students have a lot of typing that needs to get done and many are willing to pay for it.
What You Will Need To Get Started
- You must be an excellent typist with a home computer that has programs such as Microsoft Word.
- You should be familiar with digital dictation equipment.
- You should have excellent spelling and grammar.
- It’s always a good idea to get a business license.
- You should talk with an attorney about setting up a legal business entity and about creating and reviewing your contracts.
- You should set up a website advertising your services and rates.
- You can take out advertisements in local trade publications like local legal publications, city magazines or alternative newspapers, which are popular on college campuses.
How Much Can I Make?
- Most home typists charge $10-$20 per hour for their services.